Tuesday 18 January 2011

Amma, Seaside meditation

 ॐ
नमस्ते,
I just came across this photo. I'm in it!
 http://plixi.com/photos/home/38655098

I spent the summer at Amritapuri, Amma's Ashram in Kerala, South India. It was an amazing beautiful and intense experience for me. Amma was sweet, immensely loving and compassionate. I spent as much time as I could close to her during her programmes.
She would normally give two meditations per week, by the seaside. Amma would ask us a question, encouraging us to share our thoughts, then she would also give her response and commentary. Its a great way to learn.
On my last session of that summer, I had become upset in the morning due to difficult, awful memories and I had thought of writing a letter to Amma about it, but did not do so.
Later that day by the seaside, I was sitting only about 3 rows from Amma, directly in line with her,  she asked;
(I cannot remember the exact wording)
"What do you do when painful memories come up?"
I could not believe it!!! Needless to say, Amma and her devotees who shared gave me the answer.
One woman said she has to keep herself busy when beset by difficult memories.
A few suggested offering and giving up the pain to Amma, their Guru, and at the feet of the Lord.
Amma said, difficult things happen in life. Face difficulties with courage. It is in the past. BE PRESENT.
When she said Be present, I really felt that was the answer. If we are truly Present, how could we upset ourselves about the past or even worry about the future? It was good for me to see this photo and to be reminded of that great lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment