Friday 21 January 2011

About Me: Part 1

This is me, not long after arriving in england. I was born on the South eastern coast of Sri lanka. I have some vague memories of events the year we left.
Spent a brief period in Sutton in Ashfield prior to our move to a tiny old mining village called Thurnscoe in South Yorkshire, UK. The coal mine had closed and was derelict. Some folk worked in the mines nearby at Barnsley and Doncaster. My dad was a family Doctor and worked at a local GP surgery.
I didn't know any english when I arrived in england and I remember being very shy at school. At that time from 1971 onwards, we were the only non white and foreign family in Thurnscoe, except for one West Indian man who was married to a local. We didn't have any relatives in england and it must have been difficult for my mother coming from a coastal village where she is used to the extended family being around. It was hard for us too, being so isolated. Yorkshire people are very warm and friendly and I have fond memories of some very old friends of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment