Monday 24 January 2011

About Me: Part 3

When I arrived in London 1986, I was keen to develop my spiritual practice. I wasn't comfortable checking out the Hindu temple as I didn't feel I belonged there, and wanted something more than an occasional visit to the temple.
I knew a christian church wasn't the right place for me either since the christian church didn't agree with my hindu beliefs of karma and reincarnation and they didn't understood that our multiple dieties are only diverse expressions of one divinity. Then it occurred to me to take up yoga.








On a visit to the Mysteries Shop in town, I was given the details of the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre. I thought I'd check them out

I remember it was the 13th September 1987 when I went to the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre. At that time, they were at 50 Chepstow Villas, Notting Hill, a trendy upmarket part of London, just round the corner from portobello market. As soon as I walked in, I knew they were genuine, and I felt at home.

I had a trial open yoga class, taught by a german guy. I still remember in that first yoga class we did the peacock, mayurasana, one of my favourites. That day was an important landmark in my life, gave me a positive new direction. At that time, I was extremely insecure, no self esteem, no confidence, didn't have a clue about myself or what I should do, but I enjoyed going to the centre, taking the beginner's yoga course, then the yoga 2, the pranayama course and meditation course. I started going to their satsangs which include meditation, bhajans and a reading. I  helped out with the washing up, making cakes, and I began to cook. Up until then I had survived mostly on cereal, toast and steamed veg!

Yoga was relatively new to most people, classes were generally packed out. Notting Hill attracted a mainly youngish crowd. There was a small community of people living at the centre who organised and took care of everything, and some residents who were there to be a part of the yoga life. The centre also actively encouraged people like myself to take part in Karma Yoga(selfless service). The whole organisation was and is still run by volunteers.



No comments:

Post a Comment